Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Getting Candle Wax Out of Carpet

I have always heard about using a hair dryer and paper towels to get wax out of carpet, but I wasn't going to spill candle wax on the floor just to find out if it works.

Well, I finally got the chance when someone bumped my scentsy, resulting in red wax all over my beige carpet.  It was well dried before I started to attempt to get it off.

Here's what it originally looked like:




















It was not pretty and it was deep into the carpet.  So I plugged in my hair dryer and sat on the floor with a roll of paper towels.  I applied direct heat to it on the hottest dryer setting.  Then I'd move the dryer for a second and blot it up with a paper towel.






















It took a while and quite a few paper towels, but it eventually came up.
Here's what it looked like at the end:




















It left some red behind, but that's the dye in the wax rather than the wax itself.  I think if I had more time and patience, I could have gotten more to come up, but for the most part, it looks pretty good.  When I stood up, I couldn't even see the stain.

I have also heard that you can use an iron and it will do the same thing, but I don't know what the best way to do that would be.  Has anyone done that?  How did it turn out?

Thanks for checking out my blog and I hope this has helped you to freak out less when someone spills wax on your carpet.

--V

No comments:

Post a Comment